Obtain a SEVIS Form I-20
The I-20 is a multi-purpose government form used in connection with many F-1 procedures and benefits. It prints as a 3-page document, with a barcode on the right side of the form, the word “SEVIS,” and a unique SEVIS student ID number printed above the barcode. The SEVIS I-20 is retained by the student. In instances of travel and employment, page 3 has space for the Designated School Official (DSO) signatures authorizing travel, and also reflects recommendations or grants of employment authorization that were placed in the student’s SEVIS record by the DSO.
To obtain an I-20, a student must:
- Submit an application to FIDM.
- Be formally accepted to a full-time program of study having met all standards of admissions. (I-20s will not be issued based on conditional acceptance.)
- Complete FIDM’s International Student Financial Statement (ISFS).
- Verify English proficiency.
- Provide proof of financial responsibility.
Dependents accompanying the F-1 student in F-2 status must each have their own Form I-20, issued in the name of the dependent that identifies them as a dependent. They must obtain individual Form I-20s, but they do not pay the SEVIS fee.
If the student is currently attending another college on an F-1 visa then an acceptance letter and FIDM transfer request form MUST be submitted to that college to facilitate a SEVIS transfer of their I-20.