Creative careers begin here
In 1969, we were urban pioneers starting a one-of-a-kind college with two Downtown L.A. classrooms. We’ve grown to become a student body of 3,600 and more than 70,000 graduates worldwide. Our driving force has been to stay focused on our goal: to create an educational environment that fuses student desires with career realities. We’re always thinking about how we can adapt and expand to meet the challenges ahead.
We offer accredited Master’s, Bachelor’s and Associate Degree programs in design and creative business. Our students collaborate on special Industry Partner Projects with brands like Nike, Murad, Athleta, Signal Snowboards, Lacoste, GUESS, and TOMS. Part-time work and internships with companies like J Brand Jeans, Stila, Topshop, Victoria’s Secret, and Adidas are an integral part of the curriculum. Our faculty are talented industry professionals who bring their experience and connections into the classroom, creating a dynamic, career-focused learning environment.
FIDM's engaging learning environment and rigorous programs of study develop graduates who become leaders in the industries of global design and business. Under the guidance of faculty who are industry professionals, students learn to strategically integrate design thinking with technology, producing work that is grounded in critical and creative thought. FIDM Graduates embrace cultural diversity and ethical choice while advancing the well-being of their communities.
A letter from FIDM’s founder:
Welcome to FIDM. Welcome to your future.
You have unique aspirations for your life and FIDM offers the educational pathways and guidance to discover the successful future you envision.
We’re a one-of-a-kind college of the applied arts, where your creative talent, academic engagement, and determination are fostered by a dedicated faculty and staff. You’ll also be energized by fellow students from diverse backgrounds, across the country and around the globe, with creative objectives and ideas like yours.
Career guidance, student activities that encourage community-minded projects, exposure to industry experts, and cultural experiences are all part of the stimulating campus life.
Each campus is strategically located for optimal visual stimulation and immersion in California’s vibrant entertainment, fashion, and action sports industries with plentiful business hubs.
We invite you to take a bold step, walk through our doors and join our learning community. You’ll uncover not just the profession that you imagine, but the knowledge to take you there.
“As you walk, and sometimes run, through your future, take time each day to enjoy the journey.”
FIDM Founder and President
This special board, composed of community leaders, provides oversight for the quality and integrity of the college. Its members ensure that students receive educational programs of high quality, promote the college's unique response to community needs, and enthusiastically support the international goals of the college.
- Eddie Guerboian, Member
- Angela Hawekott, Member
- Byron Hayes, Jr, Board Chair
- Steven Hirsh, Member
- Tonian Hohberg, FIDM President; Director
- Lois von Morganroth, Member
- Sharon Ryan, Member
- Carol Schatz, Member
- James Travers, Member
- Shirley Wilson, Member
Our Advisory Board is the créme de la créme of industry and community leaders. Their continuing involvement plays a vital role in keeping our curriculum ahead of the curve. This exceptional group of people is comprised of top professionals in their fields, and their commitment to FIDM is unwavering.
- Colleen Atwood, Costume Designer
- Trisha Biggar, Costume Designer
- Pierre Cardin, Designer – Pierre Cardin
- William E. Conner, III, President/CEO – William E. Conner & Assoc., Ltd.
- Giovanni Di Pasquale, Accademia Internazionale Koefia
- Diane von Furstenberg, Chairman/President – Diane von Furstenberg
- Tim Gunn, Author/Mentor – Project Runway
- Steven Hirsh, Cooper Design Space
- Norma Kamali, Designer – OMO Norma Kamali
- Karen Kane, Vice President and Creative Director – Karen Kane, Inc.
- Lonnie Kane, President – Karen Kane, Inc.
- Tom Kennedy, President – Sperry
- Sally Sirkin Lewis, President/CEO – J. Robert Scott
- Bob Mackie, Elizabeth Courtney Costumes
- Maurice Marciano, Chairman Emeritus – GUESS?, Inc.
- Paul Marciano, Co-Founder – GUESS?, Inc
- Ilse Metchek, President – California Fashion Association; Executive Director – Textile Association of Los Angeles
- Ellen Magnin Newman, Ellen Newman Associates
- Zandra Rhodes, Zandra Rhodes (UK), Ltd.; Rhodes House
- Alex Roldan, Alex Roldan Salon
- Henri J. Sillam, Jewelry Designer
- Roel Vossen, Founder/Managing Director – Frontline Clothing, Ltd.
- Jacqueline West, Costume Designer
- Clive Wilkinson, President – Clive Wilkinson Architects
Our Board and Staff are committed to excellence and work tirelessly to ensure that students receive the highest quality education.
- Tonian Hohberg, President
- Barbara Bundy, Vice President – Education
- Tess Stolzer, Vice President – Treasurer
- Belinda Harding, Executive Director, Admissions, Marketing, Student Advisement
- Paige Adamczyk, Director – Digital Cinema, Digital Media
- Anne-Marie Allen, Creative Director – Theatre Costume Design
- Todd Anderson, Director – Security
- Denise Baca, Campus Director/Admissions Director – FIDM Orange County Campus
- Sheryl Badalamenti, Director – Admissions, FIDM San Francisco Campus
- Kathy Bailon, Director – FIDM Library
- Miguel Barragan, Director – Apparel Technical Design, Merchandise Product Development
- Anne Bennion, Chairperson – Fashion Knitwear Design, Textile Design, Design
- Michele Bobak, Director – European Affairs
- Connie Man Bolognone, Director – Student Advisement Operations
- John “Buddy” Bolognone, Director – FIDM Facilities
- Kenneth Chang, Assistant Chairperson – Apparel Industry Management
- Lisa Davis, Executive Assistant to the Vice President – Education
- Tricia Edwards, Assistant Chairperson – Special Projects
- Norine Fuller, Executive Director – Student Financial Services, FIDM Washington, D.C.
- Eva Gilbert, Chairperson – Apparel Technical Design, Merchandise Product Development, Merchandising & Marketing
- Michael Gilbert, Registrar
- Tom Henkenius, Director – Digital Marketing
- Lisa Hoffman, Director – Graphic Design
- Susan Jenkins, Director – Admissions Operations
- Chris Jennings, Director – Student Financial Aid
- Mike Kaminski, Director – Publications, Web Marketing Operations
- Kevin Keele, Director – Alumni Relations & Career Center
- Wendy Klarik, Executive Director – Career Center
- Saima Latif, Director – Academic Computing, IT Technical Services
- Gene LeBrock, Chairperson – Digital Cinema, Digital Media; Director – FIDM Productions
- Roni Miller Start, Dean – Academic Development; Accreditation Liaison Officer; Chairperson – Apparel Industry Management, Menswear
- Robert Montenegro, Director – Security
- Lisa Morabito, Executive Director – Community & Educational Affairs, Speakers Bureau
- Dina Morgan, Chairperson – Interior Design
- Dennis Morrison, Assistant Chairperson – Business Management
- Julie Ann Otteson, Executive Director – Human Resources; Title IX & ADA Compliance
- Paul Olszewski, Creative Director – FIDM Campus Visuals and Special Projects
- Vicki Paganini, Director – Marketing
- Cynthia Patino, Director – Entertainment Set Design & Decoration, Visual Communications
- David Paul, Co-Chairperson - Fashion Design, Fashion Design Advanced Study, Film & TV Costume Design, Footwear Design & Development, Jewelry Design, Theatre Costume Design
- Christina (Tina) Perez, Director – Beauty Business Management, Beauty Marketing & Product Development
- Sheryl Rabinovich, Dean – Education; Chairperson – General Studies, Professional Studies
- Sarah Repetto, Director – International Affairs
- Jacqueline SaintAnne, Creative Director – Film & TV Costume Design
- Lisa Schoening, Dean - Academic Development; Accreditation Liaison Officer
- Rose Sgroi, Director – Fiscal Operations
- George Sims, Chairperson – Business Administration, Business Management
- Amanda Starling, Chairperson – Special Projects, Textile Science; The Business of Denim; Co-Chairperson, International Manufacturing & Product Development
- Lynne Stroner, Campus Manager – Education & Career Center, FIDM Orange County Campus; VA School Certifying Official
- Mimi Su, Director - Merchandising & Marketing
- Jonie Thomas, Assistant Chairperson - Fashion Design
- Lyn Tobman, Chairperson – Beauty Business Management, Beauty Marketing & Product Development, Digital Marketing, Entertainment Set Design & Decoration, Graphic Design, Visual Communications
- Ella Van Nort, Director – Retail Operations, FIDM Scholarship Foundation
- Nick Verreos, Co-Chairperson - Fashion Design, Fashion Design Advanced Study, Film & TV Costume Design, Footwear Design & Development, Jewelry Design, Theatre Costume Design
- Ben Weinberg, International Student Director; Articulation Officer
- V. Kim Wetzel, Campus Director/Education Director – FIDM San Francisco Campus
- Shirley Wilson, Public Relations, Publicity, The Wilson Group