In 1969, we were urban pioneers starting a one-of-a-kind college with two Downtown L.A. classrooms. We’ve grown to become four campuses with a student body of 4,200 and nearly 65,000 graduates worldwide. Our driving force has been to stay focused on our goal: to create an educational environment that fuses student desires with career realities. We’re always thinking about how we can adapt and expand to meet the challenges ahead.
We offer accredited Master’s, Bachelor’s and Associate Degree programs in design and creative business. Our students collaborate on special Industry Partner Projects with brands like Nike, Murad, Athleta, Signal Snowboards, Lacoste, GUESS, and TOMS. Part-time work and internships with companies like J Brand Jeans, Stila, Topshop, Forever 21, Victoria’s Secret, and Adidas are an integral part of the curriculum. Our faculty are talented industry professionals who bring their experience and connections into the classroom, creating a dynamic, career-focused learning environment.
FIDM's engaging learning environment and rigorous programs of study develop graduates who become leaders in the industries of global design and business. Under the guidance of faculty who are industry professionals, students learn to strategically integrate design thinking with technology, producing work that is grounded in critical and creative thought. Graduates embrace cultural diversity and ethical choice while advancing the well-being of their communities.
A letter from FIDM’s founder:
Welcome to FIDM. Welcome to your future.
You have unique aspirations for your life and FIDM offers the educational pathways and guidance to discover the successful future you envision.
We’re a one-of-a-kind college of the applied arts, where your creative talent, academic engagement, and determination are fostered by a dedicated faculty and staff. You’ll also be energized by fellow students from diverse backgrounds, across the country and around the globe, with creative objectives and ideas like yours.
Career guidance, student activities that encourage community-minded projects, exposure to industry experts, and cultural experiences are all part of the stimulating campus life.
Each of our four campuses is strategically located for optimal visual stimulation and immersion in California’s vibrant entertainment, fashion, and action sports industries with plentiful business hubs.
We invite you to take a bold step, walk through our doors and join our learning community. You’ll uncover not just the profession that you imagine, but the knowledge to take you there.
“As you walk, and sometimes run, through your future, take time each day to enjoy the journey.”
FIDM Founder and President
Boards & Staff
This special board, composed of community leaders, provides oversight for the quality and integrity of the college. Its members ensure that students receive educational programs of high quality, promote the college's unique response to community needs, and enthusiastically support the international goals of the college.
- John Bonholtzer, Director
- Sister Maureen Craig, Member
- Eddie Guerboian, Member
- Byron Hayes, Jr, Board Chair
- Steven Hirsh, Member
- Tonian Hohberg, FIDM President
- Lois von Morganroth, Member
- Sharon Ryan, Member
- Carol Schatz, Member
- James Travers, Member
- Shirley Wilson, Member
Our Advisory Board is the créme de la créme of industry and community leaders. Their continuing involvement plays a vital role in keeping our curriculum ahead of the curve. This exceptional group of people is comprised of top professionals in their fields, and their commitment to FIDM is unwavering.
- James Acheson, Costume Designer
- Colleen Atwood, Costume Designer
- Trisha Biggar, Costume Designer
- Pierre Cardin, Designer – Pierre Cardin
- Don Chang, President/CEO, Forever 21
- William E. Conner, III, President/CEO, William E. Conner & Assoc., Ltd.
- Giovanni Di Pasquale, Accademia Internazionale Koefia
- Diane von Furstenberg, Chairman/President – Diane von Furstenberg
- Tim Gunn, Author/Mentor – Project Runway
- Steven Hirsh, Cooper Design Space
- Norma Kamali, Designer – OMO Norma Kamali
- Karen Kane, Vice President and Creative Director – Karen Kane, Inc.
- Lonnie Kane, President – Karen Kane, Inc.
- Tom Kennedy, President – Sperry
- Sally Sirkin Lewis, President/CEO – J. Robert Scott
- Terry Lundgren, Executive Chairman – Macy's, Inc.
- Bob Mackie, Elizabeth Courtney Costumes
- Maurice Marciano, Chairman Emeritus – GUESS?, Inc.
- Manny Mashouf, Chairman/CEO – bebe
- Ilse Metchek, President – California Fashion Association; Executive Director – Textile Association of Los Angeles
- Ellen Magnin Newman, Ellen Newman Associates
- Zandra Rhodes, Zandra Rhodes (UK), Ltd.; Rhodes House
- Alex Roldan, Alex Roldan Salon
- Henri J. Sillam, Jewelry Designer
- Emanuel Ungaro, Designer, Ungaro
- Roel Vossen, Founder/Managing Director – Frontline Clothing, Ltd.
- Jacqueline West, Costume Designer
- Clive Wilkinson, President – Clive Wilkinson Architects
Our Board and Staff are committed to excellence and work tirelessly to ensure that students receive the highest quality education.
- Tonian Hohberg, President
- Barbara Bundy, Vice President – Education
- Vivien Lowy, Vice President – Planning
- Tess Stolzer, Vice President – Treasurer
- Lynette Walker, Vice President – Finance
- Paige Adamczyk, Director – Digital Media
- John Ahr, Creative Director – Jewelry Design
- Todd Anderson, Director – Security
- Susan Aronson, Executive Director – Admissions
- Denise Baca, Campus Director/Admissions Director – FIDM San Diego Campus
- Sheryl Badalamenti, Director – Admissions, FIDM San Francisco Campus
- Kathy Bailon, Director – FIDM Libraries, Footwear Design & Development
- Anne Bennion, Chairperson – Fashion Knitwear Design, Textile Design, Design
- Michele Bobak, Director – European Affairs
- John “Buddy” Bolognone, Director – FIDM Facilities
- Bill Cliatt, Director – Alumni Relations
- Jeanne Colliau, Director – Merchandising & Marketing
- Barbara Cupper, Director – FIDM San Francisco Campus
- Lisa Davis, Executive Assistant to the Vice President – Education
- Norine Fuller, Executive Director – Student Financial Services, FIDM Washington, D.C.
- Ray Gallego, Director, Operations – Career Center
- Ray Garcia, Regional Director – Career Development
- Eva Gilbert, Chairperson – Merchandising & Marketing, Merchandise Product Development, Apparel Technical Design
- Michael Gilbert, Registrar
- Suzanna Grueser, Director – IT
- Belinda Harding, Director – Student Advisement
- Tom Henkenius, Director – Social Media
- Lisa Hoffman, Director – Graphic Design
- Susan Jenkins, Director – Admissions Operations
- Chris Jennings, Director – Student Financial Aid
- Mike Kaminski, Director – Publications, Web Marketing Operations
- Kevin Keele, Regional Director – Career Development
- Darlene Lattinville, Director – College Services
- Gene LeBrock, Chairperson – Digital Media; Director – FIDM Productions
- Dave Melone, Director – eLearning & Academic Computing
- David Mickelsen, Creative Director – Theatre Costume Design
- Roni Miller Start, Chairperson – Apparel Industry Management, Menswear
- Mike Mirabella, Director – Admissions, FIDM Orange County Campus
- Lisa Morabito, Executive Director – Speakers Bureau, Community & Educational Affairs
- Dina Morgan, Chairperson – Interior Design
- Julie Ann Otteson, Executive Director – Career Center & Human Resources
- Vicki Paganini, Director – Marketing
- Cynthia Patino, Director – Visual Communications, Entertainment Set Design & Decoration
- Christina (Tina) Perez, Director – Beauty Industry Merchandising & Marketing, Beauty Industry Management
- Sheryl Rabinovich, Dean – Education; Chairperson – General Studies, Professional Studies; Title IX Coordinator
- Sarah Repetto, Director – International Affairs
- Lisa Schoening, Dean – Academic Development; Accreditation Liaison Officer
- Rose Sgroi, Director – Fiscal Operations
- George Sims, Chairperson – Business Management, Business Administration
- Celia Soudry, Director – Social Media
- Amanda Starling, Chairperson – Special Projects, International Manufacturing & Product Development, Textile Science; The Business of Denim
- Mary Stephens, Director – Fashion Design; Chairperson – Jewelry Design
- Lynne Stroner, Manager – Education & Career Development, FIDM Orange County Campus
- Lyn Tobman, Chairperson – Beauty Industry Merchandising & Marketing, Beauty Industry Management, Visual Communications, Entertainment Set Design & Decoration, Social Media, Graphic Design
- Ella Van Nort, Director – Stores
- Ben Weinberg, International Student Director; Articulation Officer
- V. Kim Wetzel, Director – Education, FIDM San Francisco Campus
- Shirley Wilson, Director – Public Relations