FIRST – You must have a PIN. This is the same PIN you used to electronically sign your son/daughter's FAFSA. If you do not have a PIN, please go to Studentloans.gov
and click on the "Apply for PIN" link in the "Tools and Resources" section.
* Sign in with your PIN.
* Under the left navigation header, "PLUS Loan Process", select "Request PLUS Loan". Select "Parent PLUS", NOT
Graduate PLUS. You may have to scroll down to see this depending on your monitor settings.
* There are 4 sections to complete: you will see a red X if you miss a field. Hover over the X to guide you to the required field.
1) Personal Information
2) Student and Loan Info
- While this site mentions "room and board," it is important to note that FIDM does NOT include room and board in the total cost of tuition and fees, and FIDM does NOT apply any student account credit balance toward room and board. Please note that FIDM does not allow a student account credit balance to cover first-quarter FIDM housing charges. Students must make other arrangements to pay first-quarter housing charges.
- When choosing an amount, please choose "maximum." You will have an opportunity to specify an exact amount later so that you can request money for living expenses.
- Select "new" if this is the first time you are completing for your school year
- Select "modify" if you are attempting to increase the amount needed for additional living expenses or other reasons and if you didn't select "maximum" on your original request.
- Select the loan period that matches your student's start date at FIDM (July = Summer; October = Fall; January = Winter; April = Spring)
3) Review Application
4) Credit Check and Submit. Choose "Yes." This will check your credit to see if you qualify for a PLUS loan. You will need to check the box authorizing this credit check and hit "Submit." Your PLUS loan Application cannot be approved until your credit is checked.
If your credit is approved:
1) Complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN). The Personal Information, Student and School Loan information will be pre-populated.
2) Complete the personal references (be sure you use two individuals with different addresses).
3) Read the Terms and Conditions.
4) Review and e-sign.
5) View the completed application in PDF format (and print, if desired).
If your credit is not approved:
1) When asked "How would you like to proceed?", you are given these options:
"I will not pursue a Direct PLUS Loan at this time"
: If you choose this option, because of the PLUS ineligibility, your son/daughter will be eligible for ONLY $4000 additional unsubsidized Stafford funds (in addition to the existing $2000 unsubsidized Stafford). This will leave a balance which you would need to handle with your FIDM Admissions or Student Advisor.
"I will obtain an endorser"
: You will be sent an e-mail with a reference number which you will need to give the endorser (co-signer) of your choosing. An "endorser" should be creditworthy. An "endorser" might be a relative, neighbor, or friend, but cannot be the student for whom you are completing this PLUS loan.
"I want to appeal the credit decision"
: You will be shown a link to view the credit check detail. If you have documentation that you paid a disputed item, scan the receipt into your PC, save it, and then upload or attach it to submit. If you need help, you can contact your Financial Aid Office which can assist you in getting this document to the U.S. Department of Education.
: If you choose this option, all financial aid assistance will come to a halt for your son or daughter until you make one of the decisions above.
2) Complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN). The Personal information, Student, and School information will be pre-populated.
3) Complete the personal references (be sure you use two individuals with different addresses).
4)Read the Terms and Conditions.
5) Review and e-sign.
6) View the completed application in PDF format (and print, if desired).
TIPS for the Endorser:
1) The Endorser will need a PIN which can be obtained at www.pin.ed.gov
2) On StudentLoans.gov
, left-hand side, under "PLUS Application Process," select "Endorse PLUS Loan."
3) Enter the reference number given you by the parent borrower.
4) Complete the personal information and submit for a credit check.
5) You will be told whether you are approved or not.
6) Complete and e-sign the application.
7) View and print.