FIDM Transfer Credit Policies

Advanced Placement (AP)

Students entering from high school may apply for college credit by taking examinations given by the Advanced Placement Program of the College Entrance Examination Board. Students who have taken any of these examinations should arrange to have the results forwarded to FIDM by the College Board. As determined by the FIDM, applicable credits will be awarded for AP scores of three (3) or higher and awarded credits may count toward the major program or general education requirements.

Credit Through Standardized Testing (CLEP and DANTES)

Students may earn college credit through College Level Examination Placement (CLEP) with a Score of 50 or higher, or Defense Activity for Non-Tradition Education Support (DANTES). Examinations must have been taken before the student has been granted A.A. or B.A./B.S. degree-seeking status at FIDM. Students cannot receive CLEP credit for exams taken after matriculation at FIDM.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

FIDM awards academic credit for test scores of four (4) or higher on individual higher-level IB courses and also for the completion of the IB Diploma. Credit is awarded at the time of matriculation and is based on the scores earned on the IB examinations. All credit awarded will be recorded on the student's permanent record and will be included in the credit total toward degree requirements. Credit will be awarded for 100-and 200-level course work. Credits awarded may count toward the major program or general education requirements. Questions regarding IB credit equivalencies should be directed to the office of FIDM's Dean of General Studies.

Military Credit

The American Council on Education (ACE) collaborates with DoD to review military training and experience and recommend appropriate college credit for members of the Armed Forces. ACE provides quality assurance and policy guidance for the Joint Services Transcript (JST) used by the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard. FIDM will consider the guidelines set forth by ACE.

Transfer Credit from Overseas Institutions´╗┐

Credit is granted from recognized overseas institutions. Awarding of advanced standing varies depending on the educational system of the country. All applicants educated outside the U.S. are required to have their credentials evaluated by World Education Services (WES). WES evaluations constitute non-binding advisory opinions only. Where FIDM's assessment of any credential(s) differs from that of WES, FIDM makes all final determinations regarding course/grade/credit/GPA equivalencies, degree equivalencies, and the award of any transfer credit for coursework completed (as provided in FIDM's transfer credit evaluation).

Transfer Grade Policies

All transfer courses graded Pass/No Pass or Credit/No Credit are computed at Credit/No Credit are computed at neutral value, except in those cases where the specific grading symbol is identified by the source institution as equivalent to a grade less than C in which case it will be taken at face value.

All transfer course grades or symbols used to designate unsatisfactory, failing, or non-passing work at time of withdrawal such as UW, WU, or WF are evaluated as failing grades (F) unless otherwise defined by the source institution. FIDM only awards applicable course credit for courses taken at other institutions to which the student received a grade of C- or higher.